"Let medicine be your food, and let your food be your medicine".
Hipprocrates knew what he was talking about. Just like a car performs better with higher quality fuel, so does your body and mind.
It still often amazes me how much I hear people complain they feel tired, and sluggish and no desire to move, yet don't see the connection to their really poor food choices. You just are what you eat- day in and day out.
If you are currently eating fried food, fast foods, white processed anything (bread, chips, baked goods, pancakes, pasta, white rice ect ect.) sugar, excessive amounts of alcohol, fatty meats and candy all day long than guess what, you can't perform at your best.
We often feel we will be "deprived" when we are told we should be eating cleaner healthier meals. But don't you already feel robbed and "deprived" of your energy, health and VITALITY?
I've seen some 50+ year olds with more of ENERGY, vitality and vigour than some 30 year olds I know. That infectious energy we all deserve is really our natural state. We just settle to accept it as "part of getting older".
Diet and HYPOTHYROIDISM:
Contrary to what conventional medical doctors believe, your diet can impact the health and function of your thyroid quite significantly. Food like a drug, triggers chemical responses in your body that will activate or suppress a number of reactions and processes. Food impacts hormonal activity, mood modulators in the nervous system, sugar levels and much more.
So which foods are good and which are best to avoid with Hypothyroidism?
FOODS TO AVOID:
- Processed foods such as: White flour, bread, baked goods, essentially anything that comes in a box, package, box, wrapper, carton or bag. These foods burden the body and place more demands on the body to process, assimilate and eliminate. Your thyroid needs less work, so stay with clean foods.
- RAW Vegetables: some veggies in their RAW form suppress the thyroid function and interfere with iodine assimilation. AVOID RAW:
- Brussel sprouts
- Mustard Greens
- SOY avoid all soy products and beans themselves. SO no TOFU, soy based burgers or hotdogs, tempeh or edamame. These cause hormonal triggers that interfere with your thyroid and iodine assimilation.
- MSG, commercial iodized table salt, artificial sweeteners
- ALL SUGAR!
- Fake fats like margarines, excessive amounts of animal fats
- Commercially raised meat, dairy, eggs and poultry. Regular meat is FULL of antibiotics, artificial hormones and all the pesticides and fertilizers used on the feed they eat. So your ingesting it too!
- COFFEE and caffeinated products, these stress your body and you need to recover and re nourish your body as much as you can right now. Caffeine will just undo everything else.
- Most FRUITS: eat as little fruit as possible, as the sugar poses a strain to cortisol and insulin levels, which already are compromised with thyroid and adrenal deficiency.
Foods To Eat Everyday :
- Cooked vegetables
- SEA VEGETABLES: a great source of natural iodine
- Organic eggs and Brazil nuts: both high in Selenium
- Flax oil, Coconut oil, OLIVE OIL: the best fats your body can breakdown and use
- Sprouted nuts, grains and seeds
- Lean proteins: organic meat, poultry, fish and dairy
- CELTIC OR SEA SALT: these have not been bleached an stripped of the essential trace minerals your thyroid needs
- WHEAT FREE grains: Oats, Quinoa, spelt and kamut
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, cashews, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds
- Freshly juiced Vegetables, preferably on a daily basis
The key to a Hypothryoid friendly diet is to eat less toxic and unnatural food as possible. The more your body has to work to get rid of the toxins, less reserves it has to heal and help you recover from your low functioning thyroid.
In a future post this will tie in with how important it is to de stress and learn to implement stress management techniques for the health of your thyroid.
A low functioning thyroid is essentially a DEPLETED, worn down, burnt out unhappy camper. It is waving a flag, and saying "TIME OUT! I just can't take it anymore!" and has to slow down.
You too will have to follow suit and GIVE YOURSELF a break....
In health until next time
Love and Light